Sunday, August 19, 2012

Too Good Not To Share

Summer Squash or "Patty Pan" Squash
This past Friday, Scott and I had a delicious (!!), seasonal, healthy, gourmet meal brought to us, so (naturally) I asked for the recipe (even though we all know I may or may not ever get around to preparing it). BUT, it was SO yummy and healthy, I had to share with all you great cooks, wifeys, and baby mamas.

I don't know that the recipe has an official name, but the cook called it "Stuffed Patty Pan Squash". This weekend at the Broad Ripple Farmers' Market, I found the squash, and it was simply called "Summer Squash" (Sorry. I forgot to make note of the vendor.). So call it what you will, but let me just tell you, this stuff is the bomb dot com.

Here's what you will need:

  • Summer Squash (the number depends on how many people you want to serve and how big the summer squash is)
psst: You can also substitute zuccini for the summer squash.
  • Sausage (mild). Again, amount depends on how many squashes you are going to prepare.
  • Pine nuts to taste
  • White Onion (chopped) to taste
  • Mushrooms (chopped) to taste
  • Italian seasoning to taste
  • White bread crumbs to taste
  • Shredded  Lite Mozzarella Cheese
  • Light Parmesean Alfredo Sauce
A slice of heaven.
Gut summer squash, removing all seeds and insides. Boil squash until tender. Prepare sausage as directed, mixing in onion, mushrooms, and pine nuts. When sausage preparation is fully cooked, remove from heat and add seasoning and bread crumbs. Mix together. Stuff squash with sausage mixture and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Serve with heated alfredo sauce drizzled (or dumped!) on top.


Every time I have a dish with squash, I love it, but I never think to make any dishes with squash as the main ingredient. Ok, let's be honest. I never think to make any dishes with anything in it. I don't cook (which is why I LOVE our meal train). But, one thing I want to do as a stay-at-home-mama is cook for my hubby (and eventually my little peanut), so here's to hoping. And here's a link to some yummy squash recipes.

And, just for fun, here is a picture of Grandma and Grandpa pushing the little guy home from the farmers' market.

No comments:

Post a Comment