Saturday, August 11, 2012

First Three Weeks: What I Can't Live Without

Passed out on Daddy.

Hank is going to be three weeks this Wednesday (Oh. My. Gawsh.), and Scott and I are still attempting to figure this little guy out. While I don't thrive on structure and order (Scott does), I still would like to get into somewhat of a "routine" with Hank so that I can plan my days accordingly. Wishful thinking, right? From what I have read, it takes a baby six to eight weeks to establish regular sleep patterns (and for him or her to sleep through the night), so I may be wasting energy when I beg and plead with my son to show some consistency. Kidding. I'll be patient. And tired.

All joking aside, I think Hank is on the right track. He sleeps in three to four hour increments and only wakes up once during the night. Because I am pumping and feeding, Scott and I have the power to control how much breast milk Hank is getting, and we may or may not stuff him right before bedtime so that he sleeps longer. Selfish? Yes. Brilliant? I think so, too.

As first-time parents, Scott and I had no idea what to except when we got home from the hospital. We had no clue what baby gadgets we would use (or not use), but I wanted to share a few of our "oh-my-gosh-I-am-so-thankful-we-have-this" items. These guys have definitely been helpful in establishing our makeshift routine, and I honestly don't know what I would do without them.

So without further ado, here are my favorite baby items:

1. Medela Breast Pump: This is by far the most important baby gadget we have. I really wanted to breast feed, but Scott and I noticed early on (after two terrible first nights at home) that Hank was not getting full feedings. I would nurse him, and soon after, he would show signs of hunger (sucking his hands, fussing, etc.). This was so discouraging, and I hated that my baby wasn't getting the nourishment he needed. I didn't want to make the switch to formula quite yet because I knew that breast milk provides the best nutrition for little ones, but I also didn't want Hank to sense the stress and frustration I was experiencing while trying to feed him. So, after chatting with my doctor, Scott and I made the decision to try the next best thing: pump and feed.

According to Hank's pediatrician, the only downside to pumping and feeding is that there is an extra step in the feeding process. While I do have to pump and feed Hank with a bottle, I honestly don't think I am spending that much more time during the feeding process than my nursing friends. I pump for about fifteen to twenty minutes, and Hank sucks down a bottle in about the same time. From my understanding, newborns that nurse will spend about fifteen to twenty minutes on each breast.

This probably comes as no surprise, but I am a milk machine. My hubby has jokingly suggested that I apply for a part-time position at Prairie Farms. Because I do have quite the milk supply, I am able to freeze quite a bit of milk that I can use later or donate to the Indiana Mothers' Milk Bank. So, while I do miss that special bond between mama and baby during the nursing process, I am so thankful I can still provide my son breast milk. The Medela pump is a MUST HAVE for us.

(pssst: I just bought this Easy Expression Bustier (hilarious picture) which will allow me to be hands- free while pumping. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know how it works ASAP!)

Hank resting in the Rock N' Play
2. The Fisher-Price Rock N' Play Sleeper: My cousin, Clara, had a sweet little boy in March and swore by this thing. Her mom, my cousin Georgia, bought me ours, and it is seriously a life saver. It is great for Hank to take naps in during the day. It is lightweight, easy to move, and I feel like it is a safe place to rest Hank while I am showering or doing other things around the house. New mamas, future mamas: you MUST get this!

3. The Munchkin Drying Rack: Because I am pumping and bottle feeding, we constantly have bottles and pumping pieces to wash. We have a system to clean all of the pieces in our sink, and the drying rack makes for a very convenient drying apparatus. I don't know that this is necessary for a mom who nurses, but it certainly helpful for us!

What time is it?! Tummy time!!
4. Baby Einstein Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym: In the words of Uncle Alex, "What time is it?! Tummy time!!" This playmat has been really great to put Hank on his tummy so that he can strengthen his neck muscles. I must stay, we have a strong little man on our hands.

5. The Meal Train: Ok, in all honesty, this may be our favorite baby thing! Our church set up a meal train for us (as they do for all families with newborns), and we have yummy dinner brought to us every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night for a month! This treat is seriously SO helpful. It has been so nice not to have to worry about making dinner on top of trying to adjust to having a newborn.

6. The Diaper Genie: This made the list per Scott's request. He absolutely loves this thing and talks about it frequently. Not surprised? Neither am I. He loves that it is easy to use and conceals diaper smells. He may get a little too excited when it is time to change the bag out. To each his own.

7. The Monon: The Monon is only a block and a half from our house, and it has been so great for my mental health. I have not been super comfortable driving around with Hank (without Scott), so it has been nice to get out and get some fresh air on a nice trail. Hank, Daddy, and I have taken several walks, and I have also been able to walk with friends Ashley and Melissa.

8. 100 Favorite Bible Verses for Mommy & Me: This is a great little devotional book for my current season of life. No explanation needed.

So, there you have it. Our list of newborn must-haves. I am interested to see how the list changes over the next month. Hank is growing so fast! He is already up to 9 lbs. 5 ounces! (That is almost a pound bigger than his birth weight!)

2 comments:

  1. Betsy, UC Davis does research on infants and parenting. They did some trainings for work last year and I still follow their blog "Secrets of Baby Behavior." You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete